The history of the local church began when worship services were held in a covered wagon. In 1871, the thirteen-member church began worshiping in a sod house in Hastings. In the early years of the church, a number of different meeting places were used, including the first school house and the First Presbyterian Church building. This church's first building was erected in 1879 at a cost of $3,000. The church was moved to Sixth Street and Lincoln Avenue in 1887, and a brick building was constructed on the same site in 1910. In 1965 the property was sold to Hastings Public Schools. First Congregational United Church of Christ relocated "for future" at the present site in 1969. The pipe organ and two stained glass windows at the back of the sanctuary are treasured parts of the old church that moved with us to the new.